Mushrooms in houseplants generally appear after the plant has been overwatered. Sometimes it may be difficult to know if mushroom growth is due to overwatering or a lack of light, but mushrooms are most often an indication of too much water.
Mushrooms generally grow on soil that is already wet or saturated, so any time there is standing water or moisture for an extended period of time, it creates a hospitable environment for mushroom growth.
It is important to remove mushroom growth in houseplants immediately to prevent mushroom spores from dispersing into the air, where they could become inhaled by humans or ingested by pets.
If you are not sure what type of mushroom is growing in your houseplant, it is best to remove it and take it to a local nursery or garden center for identification.
Also, make sure to place houseplants in a location where they will receive adequate sunlight.
Mushroom growth in houseplants is usually not harmful, but mushroom spores in the air can be dangerous if inhaled, so it’s important to remove mushroom growth immediately.
It is also very important to make sure you know what type of mushroom you are dealing with before breaking it apart or removing it from the plant.
List of house plants where the mushroom grows.
- Arrowhead plant
- Asparagus fern
- Boston fern
- Dracaena marginata
- Ficus benjamin
- Fiddle leaf fig
- Gerbera daisy
- Radiator plant
- Sansevieria trifasciata
- Snake plant
Are mushrooms bad for potted plants?
No, mushrooms growing in potted plants are not necessarily bad for the plant. However, if mushroom growth is left unchecked, the mushroom spores can disperse into the air and become a health hazard. It is important to remove mushroom growth from potted plants as soon as possible to prevent any health risks.
How do you get rid of mushrooms in house plants?
The best way to get rid of mushrooms in house plants is to water the plant correctly and provide it with the right amount of light.
Also, make sure to place houseplants in a location where they will receive adequate sunlight. If the plant is not receiving enough light, it will not be able to absorb enough water and mushrooms will begin to appear.
Are mushrooms in your house plants bad?
Should I remove mushrooms from my plants?
If you are not sure what type of mushroom is growing in your houseplant, it is best to remove it and take it to a local nursery or garden center for identification. Some mushrooms can be toxic, so it is best to play it safe and remove any mushroom growth in houseplants.