Today, we’re going to be talking about some of the deadliest plants for dogs and why you should never let a dog eat them. Just as a warning, this article is going to mention the types of poison that can be found in these plants, including symptoms and what to do if your pet is subject to eating one of these toxic flowers.
So please, if you have small children or pets that are reading this with you, be sure to have them leave the room.
Now, onto the plants! While there are many types of plants out there that can harm your pup, we’re going to focus on eight of the most common ones. These plants all contain a toxin called glycoside, which is a type of cardiac glycoside. This toxin affects the heart and can cause symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, seizures, and even death.
The next plant is the azalea. Azaleas come in a variety of colors, but most notably red and pink. They’re often found in gardens and are known for their vibrant blooms. Unfortunately, azaleas are also highly toxic to dogs and can cause serious health problems, such as vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, and even coma.
Next on our list is the larkspur. This flower is often found in meadows and fields and is most recognizable by its sp petals with a dark blue hue. Unfortunately, this beautiful flower is also poisonous to dogs and has caused deaths in the past due to ingestion. If your dog ingests larkspur, you need to seek treatment immediately as symptoms can occur within 15 minutes of ingestion.
The daylily is a type of herbaceous perennial plant that comes in a variety of colors. They’re often used in gardens to provide color and are also commonly sold as house plants.
This flower is poisonous to dogs and can cause vomiting, decreased appetite, diarrhea, weakness, drowsiness, kidney failure, convulsions, paralysis of the respiratory system, coma, and even death in extreme cases when left untreated.
Rosemary is a woody perennial herb that comes in several varieties and has needle-like leaves and blue flowers.
The next plant on our list is the rhododendron. This flower is a type of evergreen shrub that comes in a variety of colors, including pink, red, white, and purple. Rhododendrons are often found in gardens and are poisonous to both humans and dogs.
If your dog ingests this flower, it can result in vomiting, diarrhea, decreased appetite, weakness of the hind legs, loss of coordination, increased urination and thirst, labored breathing or panting, inflammation of the pancreas (also known as pancreatitis), coma or death when left untreated.
The final plant on our list is the tulip. This flower is often found in gardens and has long-lasting flowers that come in a variety of colors, including red, yellow, orange, white, pink, purple, or blue. Unfortunately, tulips are poisonous to dogs and can cause vomiting and diarrhea when ingested.
Treatment will vary depending on the plant ingested but may include inducing vomiting, administering activated charcoal, and providing supportive care. It’s important to remember that if left untreated, ingestion of any of these plants could lead to severe health issues or even death.
My cat loves that plant! What can I keep my dog away from?
Euonymus (burning bush)
Holly ferns and hibiscus
Tiger lilies and calla lily
Oleander, yellow oleander, and English ivy.
Ivy – English Ivies are poisonous to dogs and cats. They can cause a great deal of irritation to the mouth and stomach if ingested, causing drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, inappetence, and abdominal pain.
In conclusion, there are many beautiful houseplants that are toxic to dogs that could result in serious health problems or even death from ingestion. However, because there are also several cat-friendly plants that are toxic to dogs, it’s important to be aware of both lists and keep them both out of reach of your pet. By being proactive and taking the necessary precautions, you can help keep your furry friend safe and healthy.